I am currently in the process of making the website for the school, and it may take some time. So in the meantime, I thought I would write some more posts for this blog, so people can learn more about the school. Above is one of the many adorable students from the school. This boy is from Lhasa and he is one of the smallest and cutest kids in the school. The students who attend this school come from all over Tibet, although the majority are from the Golok area. However there are many from Kham, different parts of Amdo, and as far away as Lhasa and Mongolia.
I cannot say enough about this school. The school is built on sacred land, where Gesar used to have a palace. The sacredness of the land rubs off on you as you spend time there. Not only that, but it is a beautiful area. The school is built about 15km from the nearest town, which is called Dara (also spelled 'Dari' and 'Darlag').
Dara is a somewhat rustic town, with lots of long haired nomads walking around and riding motorcycles through town, similar to many of the towns in the Golok area. The road to the school is a dirt road that travels alongside of the Machu river. The Machu River is one of the most famous rivers in Tibet, and is known as the Yellow River to many people. The headwaters of the Machu are very close to the school. Actually the school is built near the point where two important rivers converge, one is the Machu, and the other I believe is called the Darlag River, though I'm not sure about that.
There are millions of animals that depend on the Machu river for their food and in order to live. This is explained by Khenpo Kunzang in his history of the school, which will be on the website when it is finished. Part of the goal and reasons for building the school near the Machu was so that the students educated here could become stewards of this important (and sacred) river, and protect it from becoming contaminated and protecting the millions of animals that live in the river, and around it.

No comments:
Post a Comment