Monday, November 20, 2006

Repkong

After leaving Drakar Tredzong we got on another bus to Xilang. This is about a 7 hour ride I think. We decided to skip going to Tso Ngon, or Qinghai Lake as it is known. There is an island in the center of the lake where Shabkar once stayed for many years, there are also many rare and exotic birds there, as well as masses of Chinese tourists. I figured going to Repkong would be enough for me. Aku was pleased because he didn't want to go on the boat to the island in the middle of the lake.

After staying in Xilang for one or two days we got on a bus to Labrang. This bus ride was about 9 hours long I think. On the way, I remember my first encounter with livestock blocking the road. One section of road took us about 45 minutes to pass through because we kept encountering herds of yaks, sheep, and goats.


We also passed by a large field where many tanks and other military equipment sat. There was a small complex nearby of young soldiers, maybe this was a training ground, or just a display of power, I'm not sure.


You can't really tell from the picture above, but in the distance are the tanks in the field. Some of them are covered in white cloth so that from the corner of your eye, they almost look like the tents of Tibetan nomads.

I enjoyed the drive to Labrang. When you first enter Repkong you can see displays of painting on the sides of the road. Repkong is famous for it's art. There are particular styles of Tibetan art from Repkong that have become famous throughout Tibet, China, and other parts of the world. One of these styles is the tangka paintings that are made from ut-out pieces of cloth. The colors are very bright and brilliant, and the overall effect is beautiful.

Finally we reached Labrang, one of the most famous monasteries in all of Tibet. I dont' really know too much abou the history of Labrang unfortunately. Here are some photos:

"Golden Chorten"



"Meditation Huts"

No comments: